Wednesday, August 12, 2015

QDAD Milestones

Vista View Glam Pic 08.11.2015
Finally a finish. A very first QDAD brought to life or as Anne so cleverly dubbed the event #QDAD2REALITY, a hashtag I plan to use again soon.   
QDAD2REALITY

Collaboritve projects hold a soft spot in my heart and they are worth the extra time and effort of juggling schedules and hauling supplies back and forth.  This one was started at the first of the year with my friend Sue.

We wanted to sew an original pattern and thumbed through my QDAD (quilt design a day) folder on the computer and chose this one - a simple sashed nine patch, right?


We auditioned fabric from my batik stash and began strip piecing.  In my head, it was going to be a slice and insert method that wasn't time consuming or confusing.  

Progress on Pi Day 03.14.15

In reality, we had a lot of laughs (mostly at ourselves) because diagonal alignment is a bit more challenging when you factor in seam allowance and the spacing from the sash let alone the bridge from one square to the next.
Puzzle pieces 05.31.2015
The final block layout as you can see from the original was swapped around but the overall essence of the design rings true.  The FMQ was laborious and I'll just say it - frustrating.  Fortunately the texture even before it's washed was worth it.

For the longest time this project was my ALYoF goal rolling over month to month.   On Monday I brought it to the UFO show and tell at PVQA's guild meeting where about 30 members who had pledged to finish and share did just that.  A really inspiring parade of talent and stories.  Linking up to Finish it Up Friday with Crazy Mom Quilts.

Keep an eye on the blog tabs because I plan to celebrate my one year QDADiversary by adding a gallery of favorite designs to help motivate me to bring more of them to life.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the beautiful finish and I love the #QDAD2REALITY hashtag. The texture does look amazing and I am glad you were able to work through all the quilting difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the beautiful quilt and design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a fabulous quilt. Your color choices are beautiful as well as the design.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!