Saturday, August 9, 2014

Pattern Testing and Winning

Greek Plus Puss

Now available on Etsy and Craftsy,  Rossie has a wonderful blog post about her newly released pattern and the samples she made with Peppered Cotton (want some!) and the adorable vintage sheet stroller sized version as well.  
My Test version of Greek Plus Puss
Anyone who knows me can attest to that fact that I'm always game for an opinion or two, especially if it comes to quilting.   If you ask, you'd better mean it!  Since this was my first time to pattern test, I made a point of taking pictures along the way and thought I'd share them. 
Focal fabric pull
Since I really had no time to do this but wanted to squeeze it in anyway, I decided just to make four blocks and chose some favorite fabric for the focal plus. 

Usually I tend to avoid directional print but I wanted to put the instructions to the test after all and this added one more element.  Stacking and cutting layers made it easy and quick.
auditioning puss scrap options
For the plus and background you need a decent sized chunk but for puss it's only a little bit and I wanted them all scrappy so auditioning options gave me some playtime. I wanted them subtle but varied for interest. 
Double duty ruler
Once I decided what went were on the design wall, I used my newest 16 1/2" ruler to stack all the parts to keep them in order at the sewing machine. 
chain piecing
Since the pairing of each block was unique it made chain piecing brainless without worry of mixing up parts.   
Keeping the sub-units stacked
Once the sub-units were joined, returning them to their position with the correct orientation made the process smooth and carefree as well.  They look a bit odd spaced out this way but I could check the placement with a quick flip open. 
Pressing to the side felt a little weird at first.  I joined the four blocks and called it done.   
One of my suggestions was to show mix with the reverse colors and I had that concept stuck in my head.  So the next weekend, I snuck in a few hours and expanded to the stroller size quilt with a bit of a twist in the corner to make it my own.  Initially, I thought of repeating the four-patch but opted for a simpler version.  
four patch auditioning 
Thanks for coming along on my first Pattern Testing journey - I'm excited to be taking a class at QuiltCon with Rossie and meeting her in person.  

a Block Flower Win

Lucky me - I won the newly released Block Flower pattern from Jess at Elven Garden Quilts .  If you don't already follow her blog be sure to check it out.  There is a tab for her current series Decipher Your Quilt and Free Motion QAL.  I also enjoy looking back at the previous Color Theory for Quilters information because the information really is timeless.

1 comment:

  1. That plus quilt is stunning. I love your take on the colours--different from a few I've seen lately and it's just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know that you stopped by - leave a comment and make my day!